Re: RE: Installing an oil pressure gauge and fuel pressure

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 11:10:30 EST

david.clement@verizon.net wrote:

: In article <20051228224311.1c9787f5@cuda.ehuffy.com>, mopar@ehuffy.com (Eric
: Hufstedler) writes:
:>
:> Do these tubes really go bad that often? I've had them in a couple
:> cars w/o problems.
:>
:> I just really prefer the 270 degree sweep....

: No! I have installed gauges with the nylon tube in several cars and never had a
: leak (one car I had for 10 years with the gauge). As long as you route the tube
: so it doesn't chaff or have a kink in it there is no reason not to expect it
: not to last indefinately. Also, the oil won't spray every where and it won't be
: 200 degrees when it gets inside the vehicle, the ID is real small so it will
: run out but not spray all over. If you use stainless braided line there would
: be no worries in my book.

   Like Ray mentioned, its probably more of a potential thing than
anything else. It might be possible for me to successfully play Russian
Roulette for years and years, but the only way to be certain I won't
shoot myself in the head is not to play at all. :-) Like most anything
else, it is a mechanical system, and can fail. If it does fail, I'd
prefer the consequences to be limited to the engine bay as opposed to
bringing them into the cab with me. For myself, a mechanical pressure
gauge inside the driver's compartment is an avoidable, and unacceptable
risk.

   I did actually have a nylon line fail on me for a vacuum/pressure
gauge within a few years of installing it. Obviously there was no
harm besides a mild vacuum leak since the line didn't carry anything
but air. Like Ray, I also prefer my gauges to be in or above the dash,
so like he said, line routing can be a problem due to the radius
limitations of a line or hose.

   As far as the consequences go, perhaps my comment about "spraying
all over" had a touch of hyperbole, but it really does depend on the
type of failure and the pressure at the time. I see anywhere from
40-80psi in my Barracuda, depending on the oil temp and engine RPM.
The potential for spraying all over is there. BTW, the smaller the
ID, the *more* likely it is to "spray all over", IMHO. This is
because the pressure is the same, but the orifice is smaller; the
same thing happens when you put your thumb over the end of a garden
hose.

  Regarding the temperature, I routinely see 230 degree oil temps in
my Barracuda. Its true that the oil which is in the line would basically
be ambient temp, so if you noticed it before the line was emptied,
you would probably be OK, although that is questionable, IMHO, given
the small amount of fluid in there due to the small ID. Once that
line is purged and the oil that was running through the motor starts
coming out, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be 200+ degrees.

   Heh - sorry for the somewhat argumentative post. :-) Didn't mean
for it to sound that way, I was basically just trying to further explain
my reasonings behind not liking these mechanical pressure gauges inside
the cab/driver's compartment.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'