Transmissions! Yay!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 11:17:43 EST

Ok - its that time again kiddies - transmission talk.

I'm pricing my options for a tranny - for whatever truck I end up taking
to Denver.

Locally I have recieved two estimates. $1250 for a rebuild with a
reman-converter. $1600 +/- a few bucks for a rebuild that is supposed
to be better and stronger than stock according to what the guy said.

These two quotes are with me dropping the trans and bringing it to them.
  Few years ago - I had the trans rebuild in the 2wd Dakota by AAMCO
(back when I was stupid heh) and it cost about $1300 - that was with
them dropping it, rebuilding, and reinstalling. This is making the
prices I have recieved for rebuilds - seem a little high - for only
rebuild work - not removal or reinstalation. Granted - it *was* AAMCO,
and a few years ago... so I can't use that as a very good yardstick for
measuring.

Anyone think I can do better on prices for rebuilds?

I see APS lists new crate trannies for approx $1800 + $200 for a stock
converter.

I'm going to call around and get some more prices.. I have a guy I can
call that deals with Jasper rebuilds - going to see what that will cost
me. How good are the APS trannies?

Bill - I think I remember talking to you once before about APS
transmissions... but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine