Re: Carfax alternative

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 15:36:23 EST

"Josh" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

: I came across this on a forum, it looks to be a great (and free)
: alternative to carfax. It's pretty descriptive as well, I ran a couple of
: VIN numbers through and got tons of information.

: http://www.bandbhobbies.com/jwebb/vin_test.asp

    AutoCheck is a competing service to CarFax, definitely not free though.
Looks like the link above is an interface that somebody wrote to use
their AutoCheck account to pull the data from the AutoCheck web site. I'm
guessing somebody set this up for their friends or forum members to use
or something and it got out. (I did check the source of the form and the
output, but didn't notice anything that would determine what AutoCheck
user information was associated with the queries.)

    Another possibility is that its mining VIN numbers. Probably not
likely, but you never know. :-)

    Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention that. Kind've cool to have a
source for free VIN checking, but if a bunch of people start using
it, I wouldn't expect it to last very long. Also, you'll need to make
the call as to wether or not you trust putting your VIN number in
there. Assume that once you put a VIN in there, anybody will have
access to it. (Anybody can get your VIN just by walking through a
parking lot too, so wether or not this is a problem is up to you,
just thought I'd mention it.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'