Re: Carfax alternative

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 16:38:19 EST

On Mon, January 9, 2006 2:36 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Another possibility is that its mining VIN numbers. Probably not
> likely, but you never know. :-)
>
> Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention that. Kind've cool to have a
> source for free VIN checking, but if a bunch of people start using
> it, I wouldn't expect it to last very long. Also, you'll need to make
> the call as to wether or not you trust putting your VIN number in
> there. Assume that once you put a VIN in there, anybody will have
> access to it. (Anybody can get your VIN just by walking through a
> parking lot too, so wether or not this is a problem is up to you,
> just thought I'd mention it.)

My first reaction was that it was a data-mining operation of some kind. I
did the VIN of my Daytona as well as my friend's beater Civic because I
didn't want to chance anything.

I almost posted this very thing but decided that it was bordering on "tinfoil
hat" terratory and decided to leave everyone to their own devices.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com