was:Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 For Sale - Now: Challenger Concept

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 14:13:42 EST

In article <43C2F87A.7040703@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:
> >> I want a Challenger when they hit the lots,

Me Too, if they produce it and don't molest the design too much.

Keep in mind though, at this point in time, the Challenger is still just a
concept car. While rumors are running wild, there is no official word yet of
it becoming a production car. Plus, if it does actually become a production
car, I expect they will change the design some. I don't know if any of you
picked up on some of the designer's comments in the recent Edmunds link that's
been making it's way around but a few things I picked up on were:

The concept car has a carbon fiber body (not just the hood as some have
reported). I would assume that may change if it were to go to production.

They used the underlying platform from the 2006 Chrysler 300C that was
shortened by 4 inches. To get the body to sit on a common chassis with another
production model and still look correct to the retro design they were aiming
for, they had to play with the rocker panels some which the designer said
"probably causes turbulence" though they hadn't wind tunnel tested the car. It
sounds like there will be some design tweaks that they will want to do, if it
were to become a production vehicle. This car has a very high body line
compared to everything else they have. In a day where even some minivans have
some sort of ground effects package, that's going to be messed with for sure.
How much will depend on how well the car performs in a wind tunnel. But I would
assume they will want a rear wheel drive, Hemi/6-speed to stick at high speeds.
 I recall my old 70 Challenger got a little bit squirlly feeling at high speeds
with a little cross wind.

I also noted that the rear taillight is illuminated by diffuse neon in the
concept. That will most likely change for DOT compliance. Personally, I
thought they missed the mark with the taillight anyhow. The Concept drew
heavily on the 70 model in design and the 70 had the reverse lamp mounted in
the center of the lamp assembly. Not that I don't like what they did there,
Guess I'm just I'm a purest.

I expect it were to get approved, the final production unit will be quite
different than what we see now. I just hope it doesn't get too Daimlerized.

Walt