Re: Camaro Unveiled at Detroit

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 20:10:44 EST

Josh Battles wrote:
> GM didn't really do anything with the GTO except put a new front end and
> badging on a pre-existing model from one of their holdings. It was designed
> from the ground up by Holden in Australia. They figured since it was
> successful in Australia they might as well import it here and try and make a
> few bucks. The sales numbers have been telling a mediocre story, IMHO.

Yup - Not many people know its just a rebadged Holden Monero. I
mentioned this to a GM guy I know and he didn't believe me LOL... whatever.

> Sure Ford's done a good job on the Mustang now, but you're forgetting the
> many years where the mustang didn't look anything like a mustang. What about
> the Mustang II and the Fox body? The Mustang II was one of the biggest flops
> in Ford's history, and the Fox didn't have any styling queues from the
> previous generations of cars. It (the Fox body) sold well and ended up being
> a tribute to the name anyway. It didn't pick these queues up until the SN95
> bodystyle.

Yup, not saying the older mustangs were wonderful heh. I'm talking
about the current situation.

> The last few generations of Camaro didn't look like a Camaro either, why
> should this generation be any different? Actually, the entire F-Body line
> had nothing in common with it's predecessors stylewise.

Eh - I disagree there. If you look at the body design changes over time
- you can see a clear progression from the 67 model to the 02 model. As
is the case typically - body design changes are usually progressions
from one to another with carry over design traits and lines from the
previous generation. Neons are a good example of this point, as is a
car like the Crown Victoria. You can see clear evolution with cars like
that. Camaro did that evolution better than Mustang did. As you
pointed out, Mustang II and Fox bodies did not have much of that design
"flow" over time. On a seperate note, the Fox bodies - notibly the 5.0's
- are getting nice and collectible now - much as the late 80's IROC
Camaros are now.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine