Re: Premature wear on sway bar end links?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 12:57:08 EST

On Wed, January 11, 2006 11:35 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:

> Premature?
>
> I lowered the truck with a Hotchkis TVS in July, and had to replace the
> sway-bar end links on the front. (The top 1/4" broke off with the nut
> and this was too short to install the new bushings).
>
> Not too long after I had a bad clunk in the suspension, and spent a bit
> of time looking for it.
>
> In December, the dealer replaced the tie-rods and also the sway-bar end
> links.
>
> This took care of the cluck.
>
> So, were the sway bar links ok, the the noise came from the tie rods?
> There was play, but failure did not look imminent.

It depends on how you drive it. I've gone through 3 sets of front links, and
at about $30 a piece they're not cheap. I seem to break mine at the little
ball and socket joint.

If you're getting clunking you may want to check your bar bushings, I had a
bushing go bad on me and the bar was slamming around inside the brackets
causing a pretty rediculous noise.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com