Re: Premature wear on sway bar end links?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 13:07:08 EST

On Fri, January 13, 2006 11:49 am, Robert Schultz wrote:

> My truck was 5 years/100,000 miles including salt when I did the drop.

Ahh, mine only had about 20k miles on it. (including salt)

> I tested undoing the rear bolts on the leaf springs, and had no problems.
>
> However, the front bolts were a different story. Took me over 2 hours to
> get the front ones out. If I thought I could have gotten new ones that
> day, I'd have cut them off, but it wasn't an option.

Yikes. Were the bolts frozen or would they not come out of the spring eye?

> As for the shackles, the bushings were worn, and again, I didn't have
> the option of getting replacements in the time I had.

Ahh, that's a function of the high mileage though. There's no way Hotchkis
could have anticipated that. They're just supplying you with springs and
swaybars. It's not really as "total" of a kit as they suggest.

> Total job took me 14 hours and included a burn from where I rolled onto
> a tool that had been in the sun far too long. :-( Alignment shop would
> have installed it for $400. Should have had them do it.

Wow, that's quite a long time!

> I still suspect the tie rods for the clucking.

Have you lifted the vehicle and checked them yourself for slop? If they shop
only replaced the outer ends it's possible the play that's causing the
clunking is at the inner end. It's also possible that your ball joints are
on their way out. I've been through 5 sets in 70k miles. (70k since the
drop)

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.