Re: Premature wear on sway bar end links?

From: Robert Schultz (not_robert_schultz@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 12:49:26 EST

Josh Battles wrote:

>>I did think that Hotchkis should have included:
>>
>>1. New bolts for the rear springs
>>2. The sway bar links for the front
>>3. New shackles for the rear.
>>
>>It would have made the whole installation go much smoother.
>>
>>I mean where are you going to find new spring bolts at 5PM on a Sunday?
>

> Why new shackles and which spring bolts? I was able to reuse all but the
> u-bolts that hold the axle tube to the spring packs, they were about ½ inch
> short.
>
> The stock links are actually pretty stout pieces, mine only broke when I
> decided to go with metal plates instead of bushings. I figured that'd help
> keep me a little more level in the corners, did a great job until the links
> failed.

My truck was 5 years/100,000 miles including salt when I did the drop.

I tested undoing the rear bolts on the leaf springs, and had no problems.

However, the front bolts were a different story. Took me over 2 hours to
get the front ones out. If I thought I could have gotten new ones that
day, I'd have cut them off, but it wasn't an option.

As for the shackles, the bushings were worn, and again, I didn't have
the option of getting replacements in the time I had.

Total job took me 14 hours and included a burn from where I rolled onto
a tool that had been in the sun far too long. :-( Alignment shop would
have installed it for $400. Should have had them do it.

I still suspect the tie rods for the clucking.

Rob