Re: Door alignment on a GEN III

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 14:32:41 EST

On Wed, January 18, 2006 1:04 pm, Terrible Tom wrote:

> I'm thinking you are prolly going to have to have the hinges replaced.
> Assuming the door and the pillar havn't been damaged. It could be as
> simple as the door hinge pins having been bent too.But I seem to
> remember that the doors on our Dakotas are a pain in the ass to deal
> with when it comes to alignment... so don't quote me.

They aren't all that bad to realign but if there's damage it becomes
problematic pretty quickly. When I got hit on the RF corner they had to fix
part of the a-pillar that had been distorted and it took them 4 return trips
to get it to fit correctly. Four years later, I still get the occasional
drip in the carwash too.

The problem that the original poster will run into is that there's not really
any provisions to pull the door inward towards the cab, just up/down. I'm
sure you could elongate the holes in the hinge but aside from that I can't
see any way of pulling the door inward.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.