Re: DAK finally back...

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 10:34:52 EST

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Bill Day wrote:

> Drove her home, of course jsut as shop is closing for the day and I have
> another shimmy! This one is during accelaration.. I am assuming u-joints?

for an acceleration-only shimmy, I'd be looking at something that's
throwing your rear driveshaft out of whack. something causing an angle
change in the drivetrain or rear axle. broken leaf allowing more spring
wrap? broken U bolt allowing the axle to move under the spring? I'd go
over my rear axle mounts with a fine tooth comb first - though it would
take a LOT of motion to get a vibration out of our trucks simply because
the rear driveshaft is so long, and on a stock height truck, the angles
are so small. Even on my truck running my joints at about 5-7 degrees
with some pretty severe spring wrap (surprising with my 3" wide springs
and no lift blocks at all) I hardly feel any vibration at all...

Also check for driveshaft damage (dents, missing weights) and play in your
ujoints and play in your slip yoke. Be sure to check all of the above
with the truck chocked in place and in neutra. any drivetrain loading
will obscure problems. I'm not putting ujoints at the top of my list
simply because they are usually obvious when coasting, and accceleration
usually helps, but certainly check them anyway just becuase it's
simple/easy/quick.

> its fine at coast or at cruise but as soon as it starts to feel the need to
> accelarate, it starts shimming again.. I just replaced ALL of the u-joints
> in this truck this past summer cause they were all factory u-joints.
>
> So, if any one has any ideas other than u-joints, I guess they need replaced
> again..
>
> The finale parts was the engine/front axle mount(s) and a new front
> driveshaft.. Those cured the increasing shimmy from 45 mph and up. However
> there is still an accelarartion shimmy..

well at least it's half gone!

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |