Re: Swapping factory CD players?

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 15:37:34 EST

On 1/22/06, Korey Atterberry <korey99@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At any rate, I've always wanted an MP3-capable CD player in my
> vehicle, and now I see I can get the factory CD Changer with MP3
> capability off of ebay new for $150ish. It's currently offered as
> factory option in the Dakota (at least). I've got the non-changer
> model, which is shaped the exact same. Can anyone tell me if I need to
> buy a lot of parts to make the changer work, or do they use the same
> bezel, harness, antenna hookup, etc.? I was going to look for an
> aftermarket player, but those are going to require new harnesses, etc.
> which drives the cost up. I guess I should ask a 2nd question though
> too: Does the factory changer/mp3 work well?

It'll probably pop in no problem. As far as aftermarket is concerned,
Crutchfield tosses the harness in for free and you should be able to
find an MP3-playing headunit w/ AUX-IN for a changer later in the $150
range. If you've never done a stereo install before, Crutchfield's
instructions make it really easy, I just did it a couple weeks ago.

--
Andy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/