Re: Dakota Hill (National DML Meet)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 18:01:54 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: On Tue, January 24, 2006 3:53 pm, Josh Battles said:

:> Let's make sure to get some twisties in there for us lowered trucks too.
:> Mountain roads make for some of the best technical driving. I love to carve
:> corners.

   Something like the Lariat Trail maybe? http://tinyurl.com/7b4qb
:-) Granted, I don't know what the speed limit is on that particular
road, but from what I have seen there are lots and lots of promising
looking roads out there. I've been looking at the general area north
of the campground, east of Breckenridge, and west of Denver which seems
to be a very likely area for some of our scenic drives, and its just
loaded with twisties. It looks more like the aftermath of an explosion
in a yarn factory than a road map. ;-) And of course, the campground
is literally 5 minutes away from Pike's Peak, which is definitely on
the schedule. :-)

: Good idea. Any idea where to find reports or suggestions on what the best
: roads are, other than just trying to pick some on a map that look sufficiently
: twisty? We can look around and see if anyone has a site about "Top 10 twisty
: roads of Colorado" or anything like that.

   Yep, we can probably find something like that, motorcycling sites
might be a good place to start; I've seen lists like that which include
roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. I was going to say when I
saw Josh's post that I think it'd be all but impossible NOT to hit
a bunch of these types of roads. When you look at a map, the roads that
aren't all switchbacks are following a stream or carving through a
canyon; lots and lots of twisties to play with out there. I'm sure
we'll be seeing plenty of signs like this: http://tinyurl.com/d9snz
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'