Re: Dakota Hill (National DML Meet)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 18:25:47 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: On Tue, January 24, 2006 3:20 pm, Jason Bleazard wrote:
:> On Tue, January 24, 2006 3:53 pm, Josh Battles said:
:>>
:>> True enough. If the road becomes prohibitive we could always attempt a 2wd
:>> only photo somewhere flat. (we should do a group photo on flat land too
:>> anyway)
:>
:> That's a good idea. We can do flat (eastern Colorado is Kansas flat) with
:> the
:> front range in the background, and we can take paved mountain roads up in to
:> the hills to get pictures of all the trucks together. Just a matter of
:> finding a spot.

: That would be really cool. It would certainly be a great cover picture for
: the calendar next year.

  Yes indeed - I have a feeling the 2007 calendar will not suffer from
a lack of submissions. :-)

:>> This is a vacation. I'm all for lolligaggin' about. We don't have to pack
:>> every day full of activities. I'm sure some other free time would be
:>> appreciated. I've heard fishing in the Denver area is quite good....
:>
:> I usually agree with you that vacation = lazy time. However, I've kind of
:> been operating in the mindset of trying to see and do as much as possible to
:> make the trip worthwhile. IMHO, lolligaggin' can be done anywhere without
:> driving that far. But it's all a matter of preference, everyone is of course
:> welcome to bow out of any activities that don't sound interesting, or figure
:> out alternate stuff to do. Nothing says we all have to stay together as a
:> group, which is a good thing to keep in mind as we're doing this planning.

: True enough, but there should definately be some time to lollygag. While
: activities are important to feel that the trip wasn't wasted, I don't feel
: that we should try and pack as much stuff in as possible. Maybe I'm reading
: into this too far but you gave me the impression that there would always be
: something planned going on. That's too structured for my tastes.

   There are some days where we have no choice but to set up a pretty
rigid schedule because we need to work around certain events like the
hours at the brewery and the gate times at Bandimere. But other days
are more of a "take it as it comes" sort of deal. We definitely don't
want to waste our time during the meet playing the "I dunno, what do
YOU want to do" game, so we are planning lots of stuff. Important stuff
which had a high interest level in the voting and which will most likely
happen, as well as backup plans, rainy day stuff, etc. which will likely
never happen. I have a feeling that some days will be more like an
"outline" where we decide to do a certain activity, like travel to
Breckenridge using only dirt and offroad trails for example, but there are
a number of things we could do once we get there, and if something looks
interesting along the way, there's nothing stopping us from checking it
out or changing the "plan" completely if that seems to be the way the
consensus is going.

    Basically what we're doing at this point is looking at all
the options, and setting up a basic idea for what we might want to
do each day. If the weather doesn't jive with what we had "planned"
or if everybody feels like doing something different, the schedule
is certainly not written in stone; its more or less a safeguard against
sitting around in the camp until noon every day trying to figure out
what there is to do, and how we might want to go about doing it. Rather
than wasting our time at the meet, if we decide we feel like doing X,
well maybe we've got three different ways to do X all planned out ahead
of time which we know will work, and we can just run with one of 'em.
There are a lot of logistical elements at play which makes it easier
to sort've create lots of plans in advance, then when we're actually
in the moment at the meet, and we feel like doing something, we
will know ahead of time what will work for us and what won't as
far as timing (running out of daylight), working around the schedules
of attractions and events, goes etc.

   This *is* the DML after all, which is completely immune to even
the best laid plans. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'