Re: Dakota Hill (National DML Meet)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 18:37:07 EST

On Tue, January 24, 2006 5:18 pm, Josh Battles said:

> I've always liked those types of videos. They're really only worth it if
> there's over 20 vehicles though. (IMHO)

I guess the more the better.

> How many people are planning on
> attending the meet thusfar? Initial turnout for the campsites yielded the
> "usual suspects" plus a couple more...

My list of interested parties is up to 36. There are several "maybes" on
there. I'm hoping we'll add a few more as we get closer. A lot of people are
making their own arrangements for camping or motels, which is why the DML HQ
isn't overflowing.

> True enough, but there should definately be some time to lollygag. While
> activities are important to feel that the trip wasn't wasted, I don't feel
> that we should try and pack as much stuff in as possible. Maybe I'm reading
> into this too far but you gave me the impression that there would always be
> something planned going on. That's too structured for my tastes.

Hmmm... that's a good point. We have been figuring that every night after
dinner is probably going to be spend hanging around the camp site, with camp
fire and beers and BSing and Lawn Jenga. I'm tending to want to have
something available at all times in case anyone wants to do it, even if it's
just a list of possible ideas. I guess it'll depend on how energetic people
get. It might be that most of us feel like lazing around camp while two or
three people take off to do some shopping or something.

One thing about the schedule is that during the summer we could get in to an
afternoon thunderstorm cycle. If that happens, we'll get good weather in the
morning until about 3:00 or 4:00, when the skies will open up and pour rain
mercilessly. This happens in the desert every so often just due to daytime
heating (and Colorado does qualify as a desert). It's worse in late August or
September, but it is a possibility. I'm thinking we probably do want to have
stuff planned for every morning, in case that's the only dry time we end up
having.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember that you experienced this when you
went to the Grand Canyon, didn't you?

> I'd be willing to bet that any of the sportbike forums local to that area
> would be able to tell us exactly what roads are best to take. Those guys
> really like the twisties, and since road surface quality is important to them
> I'm sure we'll get some nice smooth fun roads to travel on.

Cool, if you come across anything interesting, be sure to share with the class
(mostly so it'll be archived and we'll be able to find it later). I'll keep
an eye out as well.