Re: Hydraulic lifts

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 17:08:17 EST

"Miles D. Oliver" <moliver@mmoliver.org> wrote:
: It cost a little more than $2399 because of residential shipping as they
: would have to transfer it to a box truck to deliver instead of an 18
: wheeler, approx $100 more in shipping, I'll get shipping numbers once they
: move it to the box truck. I also had to make sure the truck had a 'drop
: gate' so they could lower it off the truck. Its over 1500 lbs so Its not
: an easy to move item.

   When I got mine, I rented a u-haul car trailer and picked it up
from the depot, which saved a lot on the shipping. You might be
able to do something similar. A bonus to this method is they'll
put it on the trailer at the depot, and you've got plenty of time
once you get home to figure out how to get it off the trailer,
without an impatient truck driver breathing down your neck. :-)

: It will eventually pay for itself in my mind by giving me a much better
: work area and the ability to do more stuff myself than taking our
: daily drivers to a shop. Just being able to change the oil without laying
: flat on my back will be wonderful.

  Ironically, I often still do oil changes laying on the ground,
depending on the vehicle. :-) Somtimes there will be a car
in front of the lift that needs to be moved, and by the time you
line the vehicle up, get all the arms positioned just right, and
get it up in the air, I could have the oil drained already and be
starting on the filter. :-)

: I also have a couple of projects coming up that requires body removal that
: without the lift I won't be able to do.

   A lift makes pulling the bed super easy! :-) Done that a few
times, just loosen the bolts and position the arms underneath the
bed, and pick 'er up. :-)

   BTW, I would definitely recommend picking up some stabilizers
for under the lift. Harbor Freight sells a couple of different
ones. I went with the heavy duty versions that can each support
4,000lbs, even though the price was a little more than the light
duty ones. I figure if something catastrophic happens, these
should technically be able to hold the car up in the air even if
the lift completely failed. (Getting the vehicle back down would
be an interesting logistical problem, but at least you're still
around to think about it.) ;-) The only problem with them is that
they do take up a lot more space to store than the "single pole"
style. Once you get the vehicle up in the air, you position
some of those supports under it and it will make it rock solid.
Without them, even loosening a bolt will make the vehicle move.
There's nothing quite like 5,000 lbs wiggling and swaying above
your head to give you the heebie jeebies. :-) When I'm under
a car, I also start thinking about such diverse topics as weld
penetration and what sort of day the guy who put those lift arms
together was having... ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'