Re: Travel trailer towing MPG?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 22:07:58 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> It's somewhere between "don't ask" and "OMG I wonder how I'm gonna pay for this".
>
> Ahem. OK, it's around 9-11 MPG. Changing the gears from 3.55 to 3.92 didn't
> seem to affect the mileage, only how sluggish it felt when merging on the
> highway.
>
> I think the big thing that kills the mileage for us is the wind resistance.
> Any trailer has the aerodynamic properties of a large brick, but some are
> slightly smoother or better shaped than others. I've noticed that I have to
> keep my foot in the gas to maintain speed going downhill, which I hadn't
> expected (figured the weight was going to be pushing me). The popup will make
> a huge difference in that regard.

Your experiences sound basically in line with what I've heard on the
popup newsgroup. Actually 9-11mpg doesn't sound as bad as I expected.
I read where one guy was getting less than 8mpg pulling a hybrid (full
height, so bad aerodynamics) with an S-10 (sounds like a big job for a
little truck to me). Most with the "full-size" trucks get around 10-12
is seems. What drivetrain does your tow vehicle have?

With my popup, I really only saw a 1 mpg hit last summer towing. I had
an '04 v6 with 3.92's then, getting about 14.5 - 15mpg while towing.
I'm anxious to see what the v8 will do.

Korey

.
.