Re: Travel trailer towing MPG?

From: jldenning@earthlink.net
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 21:57:07 EST

korey99@ writes:

> Hey all-
>
> I know a few of you (Jason for one) tow travel trailers with your
> Dakotas. I was wondering if you would share what gas mileage you get
> while towing. I personally have a '05 V8 with 3.55 gears, but I'd
> appreciate responses with any configuration.
>
> I currently have a medium-sized popup but it never hurts to dream!
>
> Korey
> .
> .

I think a medium-sized pop-up is the dream.

A few years ago we towed a big pop-up behind my 99 4x4 318 w/ 3.55 gears from
Wash DC west through all the big mountains, and plains between. Total mileage
was ~15k. 3.55 are really tall, and I hauled .... Truck ran as if no trailer.
 Speed had a bigger impact on mileage than the trailer, so I'd say my mpg
dropped a mile per hour w/ the trailer.

If you don't already have an oil cooler, I'd get one.

Re that dream, our trucks will haul a killer pop-up, fast up big hills w/out
breaking a sweat. Conversly, towing a a big box trailer would be like dragging
around, well, the house. For me the drive is always half the fun so a "sleak"
pop-up is the dream. My next camper is going to be an off-road version.
.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |