Re: Travel trailer towing MPG?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 23:11:28 EST

jldenning@earthlink.net wrote:
> I think a medium-sized pop-up is the dream.
>
> A few years ago we towed a big pop-up behind my 99 4x4 318 w/ 3.55 gears from
> Wash DC west through all the big mountains, and plains between. Total mileage
> was ~15k. 3.55 are really tall, and I hauled .... Truck ran as if no trailer.
> Speed had a bigger impact on mileage than the trailer, so I'd say my mpg
> dropped a mile per hour w/ the trailer.
>
> If you don't already have an oil cooler, I'd get one.
>
> Re that dream, our trucks will haul a killer pop-up, fast up big hills w/out
> breaking a sweat. Conversly, towing a a big box trailer would be like dragging
> around, well, the house. For me the drive is always half the fun so a "sleak"
> pop-up is the dream. My next camper is going to be an off-road version.

The previous Dakota sure did haul it nice. Having a relatively small
trailer also means I'm not afraid to drive in traffic and also that it's
easy to find a spot to park when hooked up. My popup is a Jayco 1006,
which is a 10ft box with a front trunk. Gross weight is around 2800lbs.
  I'm sure the new truck (which has the factory coolers, by the way)
will be even better. The only downside of a popup, in my opinion, is
the difficulty of loading/unloading/repacking etc. when the camper is
folded down and also tearing down when wet. The towability and the open
feeling makes up for those troubles, though. One of those Hi-Lo's or
Trailmanors might be neat though!

Korey
.
.