Re: Travel trailer towing MPG?

From: jldenning@earthlink.net
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 22:13:20 EST

korey wrote:

I know this is silly, but I've often wondered about some sort of sock or
> something that attaches to the back of the van/truck and to the front of
> the trailer, making one big streamlined unit. Sometimes guys put a
> spandex panel between the front fairing and rear tailbox on a
> fully-faired bicycle, so I've often wondered if that would help the
> towability of a full height travel trailer!

Probably not silly one bit. I'd guess a slightly less goofy and similarly
effective approach would be a lateral fin on the back of a hard tonneau (or
stiff soft tonneau). I believe the airstream comes over our cabs AND over an
eddy just at the rear window, then smooths out as it drops toward the level of
our bed rails, then down over the tailgate. I think the trick would be to
catch the flow rear of the eddy with a fin and direct it up over the gap 'tween
truck and trailer. I think a box trailer and finned cap would get the same
thing.

I think a thing about "socks" might be that flexible surfaces like canvas tops
deform in wind streams, causing troublesome turbulance.

Anyhow, send us pictures.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |