Re: Belly pan gasket

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 19:50:00 EST

At 08:19 PM 2/8/06, Jay wrote:
>I'm not using as much oil as Josh's GF but I'm kinda thinking
>using 1/2 quart of oil for 300 miles driven is a little much for
>an engine with only 45,000 miles on it. Haven't noticed
>any black smoke out the pipe at all.

If there are no oil drops on the ground after parking awhile
and/or no oil coating underneath, then it must be burning off
through the exhaust.

Telltale sign is bluish smoke (black indicates over-rich mix).

When my 97 318 gasket leaked, I began experiencing pinging
under load (accelerating lightly on slight inclines) and was losing
oil at about the same amount as you. I did not have any external
oil leaks and did not noticed any bluish smoke out of the exhaust
for several weeks. I then spotted faint bluish smoke from the exhaust
when I would start it up and the sun was beginning to set low behind me.
Very difficult to notice. It stopped pinging and losing oil about a
month later.

I discovered later that the winter when I replaced the intake with the M1
that there had been a couple of small leak in the gasket (gasket had curved
in and out) but it had sealed itself up.

I don't have 45,000 miles on my truck now :-) HTH.

Bob

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |