RE: Re: Starting, Fuel Pressure ?

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 06:38:54 EST

Just to clear things up here for Biff and Rascal (and anyone else who's
interested)....

All 5.2L (318 ci) engines in the 1992 model year Dakotas and Rams were
supposed to be Magnums with multi-point fuel injection. This is not from
speculation or hearsay. I ordered my Dak in early '92 and have the
original brochures and FSM as well. Dodge truck advertising in late '91,
describing the availability of the Magnum engine for 1992, is what prompted
me to buy one in the first place. I test drove one in late 1991.

They used a return type system, identifiable by two lines from the tank to
the fuel rail mounted pressure regulator. Fuel pressure at idle should be
around 30 psi. At wide open throttle (or with the vacuum line
disconnected) pressure should be around 40 psi. The pumps originally came
with a sock type filter which was later superseded by a pleated paper type
filter. You can indeed use the later paper type on a '92 as I put one on
mine when I changed the fuel gauge sending unit. There is also a separate
in-line filter mounted on the truck frame.

Now here's some (educated) speculation for you. I think some of the
confusion over when MPFI (Magnum engines) were introduced stems from the
change to the front end styling of Daks introduced in '91. The '91s look
just like the '92s and were available with the first factory installed V8s
(TBI of course...and non-Magnum). That was one model year only. For 1992
the big hype was for the Magnum 5.2L engine and if Dodge equipped the early
'92s with the left over non-Magnum TBI engines I for one would certainly
have sued them for false advertising. I can only assume others would have
as well. Just FYI...there is a label on the edge of the driver's door
indicating the Model Year and the Month, Day, and Hour (MDH) the truck was
built.

The other piece of the puzzle may stem from poor editing of Dodge's FSM and
parts books. My '92 FSM still shows some pictures of the TBI engine
although the text describes the MPFI. I believe this also led to confusion
on the part of aftermarket suppliers as I've been told by parts counter
people that the Magnum 5.2 wasn't available until '93. They are wrong of
course, for the reasons I stated above. To avoid this type of confusion I
typically request parts for a '93 Dakota.

Sorry for the novel length but I hope this was enlightening.
Ray

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |