RE: Ball joint replacement, anyone do it themselves?

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 12:19:17 EST

I have to echo Josh on this. I've changed them on a friend's late-model
4x4 and they are cake. Save yourself $439 and do it yourself. Grab
yourself a weekend afternoon and a grinder for those rivets, and you'll
be all set. My older 2wd requires a ball joint press for the lowers and
a gi-normous special socket and impact wrench for the uppers. Not fun.

$439.00 of
>that quote was labor. I was reading my Haynes manual about it and it
does
>seem like a fairly extensive job; however, I really don't want to pay
>$888.06 for my truck repair. Has anyone replace the upper and lower
ball
>joints themselves? If so, how difficult/"pain in the butt" is the job?
>Additionally, are there any "tricks of the trade" when you do it?
>
>Thanks,
>Garret
>1997, CC, V8, 4X4
>

>.
>.
>| Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
>| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |