Ball joint replacement, anyone do it themselves?

From: Garret Lewis (ladysmithgwl@1bigred.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 08:54:00 EST

After getting new tires put on my truck yesterday and seeing the "ball
joint" post too, I thought I would send out this post.

The tire shop said that I needed new upper and lower ball joints on my
Dakota yesterday. They quoted me a price of $888.06 installed. $439.00 of
that quote was labor. I was reading my Haynes manual about it and it does
seem like a fairly extensive job; however, I really don't want to pay
$888.06 for my truck repair. Has anyone replace the upper and lower ball
joints themselves? If so, how difficult/"pain in the butt" is the job?
Additionally, are there any "tricks of the trade" when you do it?

Thanks,
Garret
1997, CC, V8, 4X4

.