Re: WAS: Rollin rollin rollin NOW: Sitting sitting sitting...

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 12:46:29 EST

n 2/22/06, Mr. Plow <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all for the good words. :)
>
> We'll be having the wedding here in Edmonton, venue to be determined...
> It will be next May of '07.
> And we're trying for a "small" wedding of 150. My bro is getting hitched
> this June, and Jackie's sister is getting marrid in Sept., both of those
> weddings are around 275+.
> Screw that!!!!
> lol
>
> We already started putting the invite list together, and it went over the
> 150 mark damn quick. We had to start whittling it down almost immediately.
>
> Who out there has had a "small" wedding and how did you choose the people
> that would get invited over the ones that wouldn't???

Congrats, Adam & Jackie!

150 isn't a "small" wedding IMO - it's more like "average". Marci & I
had about 160 on the list for ours, including the wedding party which,
if you count the ringbearers and flower girl, was 11 plus us.

For keeping the list to a minimum, we did (roughly) the following as
far as prioritizing guests:
1) Family, starting at the "center" and working outward (imagine your
families as concentric rings, each step more "distant" from you one
more layer) - parents of course, grandparents, aunts & uncles, then
move into cousins, related-purely-by-marriage, etc.

2) Family friends who had invited us to weddings in their families

3) Family friends

3) Personal friends

4) Co-workers (this often blends w/ friends)

Both your parents and hers I'm sure have a list of people they'd like
to see at the wedding - get that list from them early, and make sure
they prioritize "must be invited" through "well, if you still have
room..." Once you have the reception venue worked out and know the
table sizes, it can be easier to trim some people - if you're over by
3 people, "well, we tried, but we didn't have enough seats" can help
you there. Obviously exceptions can and will be made there.

It's an interesting and frustrating experience planning it all,
believe me. Hit me off-list if you want any more details on how we
did our planning.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |