RE: I got Nailed

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 12:00:10 EST

SNip
>I got it torn down and got to the timing belt, and saw something I knew
>was wrong. On these cars - as many of you may know - there is a spring
>loaded camshaft belt tensioner on the SOHC mills. To install it - you
>have to compress the shaft and lock it in place with a thin peice of
>metal. Still in the hole on the tensioner, was a rusty penny nail.
>
>There had been no tension on that belt at all since it was put back
>together. That finally explains the odd noise I couldn't identify that
>seemed to be coming from the timing belt cover.

I changed the timing belt on my parent's 2.4 DOHC Stratus recently. I
was afraid I'd do the same thing so I used a little hex key out of those
foldable pocketknife-style packs. There was no way I'd be able to put
it back together with that big thing hanging there.

Doesn't the water pump run off the timing belt in these engines?

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |