Re: Ball Joint and shock replacement problems...

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 01:05:12 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Eric Hufstedler wrote:
>
>>> You could probably break the axle nut loose with the wheel still
>>> on the ground actually.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't think it necessary. Why not just unbolt the joint at
>>> the knuckle and drop the lower the control arm a little? You
>>> could wedge a block of wood under the upper arm so that the
>>> spring tension would even do the seperation for you.
>>

>> Wouldn't that be possibly explosive?
>>
>> Eric
>

> I came into this thread late otherwise I woulda popped up and said
> something. You DO NOT want to mess with the control arm bolts while the
> torsion bar is in place and under load. Even with the suspension at
> full drop - the torsion bar is still loaded.
>
> You don't need to go to that extreme. Simple solution here...Assuming
> you have the caliper and rotor off, put them back on. Just hand tighten
> the lugnuts and caliper bolts - to keep everything stationary on the
> knuckle.
>
> Your rotors should be vented discs. The calipers on mine have a hole in
> the center for viewing pad thickness - as I'm sure yours do to. If I
> need to unbolt the axleshaft nut after the wheel is pulled - just drop a
> screw driver or other stiff tool into the vanes on the vented rotor
> THROUGH the hole in the center of the caliper - to act as a stop. I've
> done this countless times - never broken anything - works like a charm,
> keeps the axle and hub from turning to let you take the axleshaft nut off.
>
> If you are not sure what I mean - let me know - I happen to have the
> wheels off my Gen II and I can easily snap a pic for ya to show what I'm
> talking about.

To reply to my own post - I don't think you even need to put the caliper
back on - just the rotor. You should be able to do the same thing with
just the knuckle. The caliper mounts should provide a physical "stop"
for the screwdriver in the rotor.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'