Re: Subwoofer Install

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 09:39:02 EST

On Thu, March 2, 2006 1:29 am, Alberto Aguirre Jr wrote:

> I am trying to imagine what is a good place for a
> sub or two. I know there are the prefab boxes to go
> in and/or replace the toolbox/storage in the rear of
> the club cab. I was wondering if anyone had seen a
> custom fabricated one to be concealed within the front
> center seat in the split bench (non-console) area. I
> want to keep the seat and folding storage bin, but
> have the inside or bottom hollowed out for a sub.
> Perhaps and 8" or 10" if room permits.
>
> If so anyone know where to find info to go about
> doing this?

I looked into doing this a few years back, even made CAD drawings of a new
console. There's not enough room there for anything besides an 8" woofer and
even that's stretching it IMHO. Anything else larger would require it to be
mounted on an angle inside the enclosure.

It'll also cause rediculous vibration issues with whatever you've got in the
armrest storage compartment. If you're looking for something stealth and
have a club cab, take a look into the JL Audio Stealthbox as well as the MTX
Thunderform. Barry Oliver has the MTX one in his CC and it sounds very nice.

The sub I wanted to use wouldn't fit anywhere stealth like that, it's 9"
deep. I had to build a custom enclosure for it, it sits on the backseat
behind the driver's seat and is seatbelted in. I used the seatbelt to hold
it so that I can take it out at the races, it's about 100 pounds total.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'