RE:Maintenance Questions

From: Zito, James A \(GE Infra, Energy\) (james.zito@ps.ge.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 11:16:30 EST

Ok guys...a few questions. I think I am going to be brave enough to
attempt to change my ball joints out myself. A few things to
remember...my truck is 99 2WD Club Cab 5.2L. 93,000 miles

1. If I support the bottom control arm with a jack, do I need to remove
the big spring?

Unless you are leaving the shock in place, run a chain through the spring to the frame so that it will stay in place no matter what happens. To paraphrase Dirty Harry, that spring will take you head clean off......

2. Could I not loosen the bottom nut a good bit and then hand thread it
back on and hit the bottom hard with a hammer to try to force the ball
joint out instead of using a pickle fork, which I don't have?

Goto you local Auto Zone maybe Advanced or similar parts chain store many of them have a tool loaner program, they take a credit card imprint then tear it up when you bring the tool back. Pickle forks aren't expensive, $15-30, anyway. Also I am against using one on a ball joint you may want to reuse.

3. If I do need to remove the spring, is it a good idea to change the
control arm bushings out while I am in there? How do I tell if the
bushings are bad?

See remarks in #1 above, if the shock and spring come out and you can't wiggle the arm back and forth easily, the bushings are probably good.

4. Should I change the original shocks out while I am doing this? What
replacement brand should I use? I like the feel of the stock springs
but want a good brand.

See answer to #1 above, I'd leave them in place, if possible, until the ball joints are done. I won't give a shock opinion since they are like assholes.....

5. How/Can I remove the shocks without taking the spring off?

The shock drops down through the hole in the LCA, unbolt and turn 90'

6. If I need to remove the spring, which spring compressor should I
use/rent so that I won't get hurt.

The safety chain is what provides the protection, again no opinions proper tool for the job. I have never had good luck with a spring compressor. Usually get them out by unbolting the top of the shock, with a chain in place. And reinstall them using the jack under the control arm trick.

7. I have rear ABS. When changing the rear brake shoes, is there
anything special I need to do, or buy?

Can't answer this one since I have an '03 and I know the speed sensor is mounted on the pumpkin.

8. When changing the front brake pads, do I have to completely remove
the caliper?

Depends on what you mean by remove. I remove both caliper bolts but I don't tamper with the hose.

Jim
'03 CC Dak

.
.