Re: Maintenance Questions

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 13:09:00 EST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I can't help with all of your questions, but might be able to offer
> some info on a couple...
>

> JameyWelch@freightliner.com wrote:
> : 7. I have rear ABS. When changing the rear brake shoes, is there
> : anything special I need to do, or buy?
>

> No, there shouldn't be a difference between an ABS and non ABS
> equipped truck regarding changing the rear shoes. You'll probably
> want to have a can of brake clean handy to blast the brake dust
> out of there. A drum brake tool kit can make things easier. Only
> do one side at a time so that if you get stuck and don't remember
> where a particular part goes, you can compare it to the other side.
> Once you get into the drum, if any parts look particularly cruddy
> or suspect, you might want to replace them, you can find the various
> springs and such or a complete kit at a local parts store. Chances
> are it will be fine though, so you can either pull them apart and
> then make a run to the store if you need something, or if the store
> has a good return policy, buy the kits ahead of time and don't
> open them up unless you need them. If you don't use 'em, you can
> get your money back.

  I would add the use of a good dust mask to the mix if you are messing
with brakes. You stir up brake dust no matter how careful you try to be.
At one time there was asbestos in brake linings but thankfully no more.

  And besides, Black Boogers are never a good thing.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'