Re: Dakota or Durango???

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 10:10:42 EST

On Fri, March 3, 2006 12:44 am, Terrible Tom said:

> Simple solution. Bed cover. If you wan't security - take a look at the
> hardshell cover Ed has on his 2000 Quad. Looks real good on his truck.

So good that we got the exact same thing (only in black). It's made by ARE,
and I'm quite happy with it. It was pretty easy to justify given the price
difference between the Quad Cab Dakota and a Durango. Before we got the '01,
I went on the web site and optioned out a Durango as close as I could get it
to what we got on the Dakota. They wanted something like an extra $11,000 for
the Durango. That's an awful lot of money for a hatch and some extra glass.
I like the Durango, and the one we rented in BC was very nice, but dang that's
a lot of extra money. I don't know if the used market is the same way,
though.

I know the wagon style cargo area is nice, believe me. I've been wishing I
had something like that ever since we rented that Durango, I just couldn't
justify the expense when we got the '01, and I haven't quite been able to
bring myself to trade my '95 for an XJ (came close a few times, though).
Don't be surprised to see me in a Caliber in a few years, though.

I guess you just have to ask yourself how important it is to you, and look at
the prices.

> Ya know - I have a regular cab short box truck (Ram) , regular cab long
> bed Gen I trucks (Silver Eightynine's), a club cab Gen II (the 95). If
> I were to get a Gen III Quad cab... I would have sampled every major
> truck body style. Hmmm

Danger, Will Robinson! Tom contemplating another truck purchase! Run!

:-)

> Yeah a Quad can haul about the same as a Durango. Probably a little
> more than a Durango because its lighter (I think?) than the SUV version.

Actually, I believe the highest limit on the Durango is more than the highest
on a 4x4 QC Dakota, for whatever reason. The only thing I can think of is
that the suspension on the Durango sits slightly lower so the soccer moms
won't have a problem climbing in to it.

With the 4.7L engine, watch the axle ratio. It makes a huge difference for
towing rating. My guess is that this is because the OHC design makes its
power at a higher RPM range. The rating on our '01 with the 3.55 gears was
only 4800 lbs max. The 3.92 bumped that up to 5800 lbs. I think you're
looking at a similar configuration, so make sure to verify the tow rating
before you get anything. I know those ratings aren't carved in stone, but
it's best to keep them in mind for various reasons (I have no idea what the
legal or insurance implications would be if you exceeded it and got in a
wreck, for example).

Unfortunately, you might have a tough time finding a used truck with the 3.92
gears, as the 3.55 were standard and it's something most people don't think
about. If I were looking on the used market for something with a 5000+ lb tow
rating, I'd be seriously thinking of moving up to a Ram, at least a 1500.
Just MHO.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'