RE: Re: Re: Re: RFI: Shock Bolt Sizes

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 11:19:16 EST

Energy)
>Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:57 AM
>To: Dakota list (E-mail)
>Subject: DML: Re: Re: Re: RFI: Shock Bolt Sizes
>

><snip> Also, does anyone know how to get a broken lower shock bolt out?
My
>lower
>one broke and left me a 3" stub sticking out.
>
>2 words BLUE WRENCH!!!!! You may be able to apply gentle heat using a
>regular plumber's propane torch, and then more penetrating oil then
more
>heat.....
>
>If that fails a real BLUE WRENCH aka oxy acetylene may be needed.
>
>The heat gets the bolt to expand which tends to break the rust bond.
>
>Jim
>03 Red CC Dak

I was going to suggest the same thing. Propane won't get the metal hot
enough to do any damage to it, but it will get it warm enough to help
loosen things up. I usually use heat in combination with PB Blaster and
a little patience. Warm it, spray it, let it soak for a few minutes,
rinse, repeat. You'll be surprised what you can get loose that way.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |