Re: Replacing the rear pinion.

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 12:11:31 EST

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Terrible Tom wrote:

  I've setup many 3rd member type axles, mostly Toyota and Suzuki. They
are easier because you can pull it and stick it on a bench. Nothing ever
goes together easy and expect to assemble, check, dissassemble many times
to get it right. A proper pattern, pinion depth, backlash, and torque
specs will dictate the life of the setup, I don't do fixed housing diffs
because of the hassles in setting carrier bearing settings and the constant
in-out for getting the settings right. There is a 'spin type' adjuster on
the Toyota and Suzuki axles to adjust ring gear spacing and backlash and
carrier bearing preload.

  I can tell you that you need the right tools, Dial indicator, bearing
pullers, Torque wrenches (both click and beam type) of ft and in lbs, a
bearing press, and may even need a case spreader to get the carrier in and
out. You also need to have a set of old bearings that you can grind out
to slip fit over the carrier as a base to mock up settings before
adding the new bearings.

  This is probably the one thing left to someone who has experience in
doing so. You can turn lots of costly parts in to junk fairly fast if you
don't know what you are doing. For the first couple of setups I took the
ones I did to an experienced tech before putting it into the truck to have
my work doublechecked. Easy with a 3rd member, way more difficult with a
fixed housing rear end.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'