Which 3" mufflers have the deepest tone?

From: Michael (farichml@winbeam.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 16:09:04 EST

My personal favorite is the Goerlich Xlerator series. They flow 97% as well
as straight 3" pipe. The X123 is 18" long and fits on my mid and full size
cars. They are very deep and rumbly but not too loud in the passenger cabin
with pipes all the way to the back.
I think http://www.goerlichexh.com is the web site. There may be other
companies making similar construction now. 5 years ago they were THE best
flowing ones and still weren't even the loudest.
The next step down in sound is to go with Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo which
flow 80% as well as straight pipe. The induction roar of an old 4 barrel
carb is louder than these mufflers under WOT acceleration, yet they are
still deep and rumbly in the parking lot at work, which is what I think you
want. I have the Dynomax duals on a Pontiac 455 daily driver and really
like them. The Goerlich 3" duals are on my 396 Chevelle and they are really
rumbly and loud at WOT too. Not too bad cruising, though. I have 3" single
on my Chevy truck and my other daily driver Pontiac with 305 Chevy. They're
deep and rumbly too but not as much being single exhaust. Dual exhaust with
the Goerlich's is the deepest and rumbliest. The 455 Pontiac V8 with dual
2.5" Dynomax and no cats is actually about as deep and rumbly as the newer
Pontiac with the 305 Chevy and single 3" with 3" cat. The Goerlich stay
louder under WOT than the Dynomax do, though. Both are deep and rumbly at
idle and off idle.
Mike