Now Chicagoland DMLers. Was: Re: OT: I'm moving

From: Brian Fitchett (bfitchett@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 15:43:39 EST

Hello DML... long time no lurk. Been very busy with school but now I am
done, having successfully finished my PhD work (so now I expect to be
addressed as Dr. Fitchett (c: ). I was just in the Chicago area (for a
total of 26 hours!) interviewing at Argonne National Lab. Since it may
be a place of new residence I thought I would check with those locally
to see about cost of living. home prices, house rental rates, etc... I
am not looking forward to the heave traffic, but coming from California
its not the biggest issue. Just thought I would throw this out there to
see what you folks have to say...

Brian

Josh Battles wrote:

> If you're planning on taking I-80 through the Chicagoland area be prepared to
> face some of the worst construction you can imagine. Fortunately you'll be
> coming from the east so it won't be as bad though. Be prepared for *massive*
> delays and all sorts of shenanigans everywhere. I highly recommend
> travelling through the area during non-rush hour times. You're looking at 4
> hours or so from Dayton so if you get an early start that'll put you in the
> area about lunchtime so you shouldn't bad off. Just remember to watch your
> speed, they've got cops in orange construction vests pretending to work just
> so they can catch speeders.
>
> When it gets closer to your trip date shoot me a message offlist and I'll
> give you the scoop on the construction in that area, I drive through there at
> least 3 days a week.
>
> If you're interested I'd be willing to meet up for a beer or something while
> you're in the area. There's a really good Buffalo Wild Wings just off of
> I-80 near me. Jason and Norah stamped it with their approval last time they
> were through in December.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |