Re: 1993 Dakota is fixed

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 09:06:10 EST

That problem haunted me for a year, my truck died randomly for but never
completely, then finally after spending almost $1000 in repairs at
dealerships, it broke down far from home. Luckily I remembered that I just
drove past a Dodge dealer a mile back, I walked back to it and got there
about a minute after they closed for the day. One of the mechanics said he
knew what the problem was, grabbed a propane powered solder pencil and drove
me back to my truck. He went straight to that splice, fixed it, and it
worked ever since. I used that knowledge and helped others fix the same
problem including other Dakotas I owned many times.

This applies to all pre 95 Dakotas and is a stupid design flaw. Water enters
the harness from the top of the fuse box, goes down the wires until it hits
that splice, which corrodes because of dissimilar metals of the copper wire
and nickel crimp. Guess what, it 3 years you get a pile of green powder. I
recommend anyone who lives in an area where you get rain or snow, check out
the splice and fix it if you find and green corrosion. Good luck y'all.

Mark Kuzia
1998 Dak 5.2L 5-spd (Dak #5)
mskuzia@comcast.net