Re: stickers = street racer

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 09:16:42 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> : checking for illegal mods is one thing, and since they are a part of V&TL
> : they are enforcable, but the association with street racing rubs me the
> : wrong way.
>

> Yep, that was pretty stupid. Its almost like they're trying to
> justify the harassment by saying "well, these are street racers after
> all, they deserve it" or "if we make them drive stock vehicles they
> won't race on the street" (yeah right!).

yup =(

> As Andy said before, so
> much for innocent until PROVEN guilty and free speech for that matter.

proven guilty as soon as the hood is popped. But like Ed O pointed out,
they'll think non-PCV crankcase vents are illegal on '98 Civics AND '66
442s 'cause they don't know the year breakdowns on when equipment was
required, and then even when you're not guilty of a damn thing you end up
proving it to someone.

> Speaking of which - the police used
> to be called "peace officers"; implying a certain level of discretion,
> and the idea that they were tasked with keeping the peace. A "law
> enforcement officer" is nothing but a glorified meter maid.

I think that's all that any traffic cops are nowadays. how often do they
enforce not signaling or lane weaving or pushing red lights as opposed to
just running radar looking for easy cash from many drivers that are far
far far safer than the ones doing the speed limit?

aaah preaching to the chior...

> I think we need to start training more peace officers and less law
> enforcement officers.

amen.

> I think the most common things they get 4x4s for are tires that
> extend "too far" from the wheelwells and bumper height. I'm not
> sure what those requirements are in NY actually, but I wouldn't be
> surprised if you were technically above the bumper height requirement.
> :-)

IIRC in back I'm legal and in front if they'll consider a "rigid
frame-attached structure at the front of the vehicle" a bumper, instead of
only the chrome covered thing, I'm leagal there thanks to my front
crossmember having a portion in front of everything right at the bottom of
the facia.

I could get a tire ticket in PA for the fronts, but the rears are covered
enough that nobody will harass me about them. the D60 I'm getting shortly
is 2" narrower so that'll help out there.

BTW, got a decent pic of my truck in the Rochester St. Pat's parade last
saturday, here's how it's lookin right now - from the good side =)
<http://www.sax89.bluedomino.com/misc/images/parade37.JPG>

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'