Re: stickers = street racer

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 17:53:25 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

: On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Josh wrote:

:>
:> I'm glad I don't live in CA. This is rediculous. I don't understand how
:> stickers and modifications mean you're a street racer.
:>
:> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyMkB0uMeg&search=police%20car

: ooh that galls me.

: checking for illegal mods is one thing, and since they are a part of V&TL
: they are enforcable, but the association with street racing rubs me the
: wrong way.

   Yep, that was pretty stupid. Its almost like they're trying to
justify the harassment by saying "well, these are street racers after
all, they deserve it" or "if we make them drive stock vehicles they
won't race on the street" (yeah right!). As Andy said before, so
much for innocent until PROVEN guilty and free speech for that matter.
I guess all those guys with Jeff Gordon decals on their pickup trucks
should be harassed because they obviously do "victory donuts" on the
street and on the "infield" of every public park they come across.

   The dim witted logic behind the "stickers = street racing" is bad
enough, combine that with the fact that this viewpoint is held by
law enforcement officers (being used to *train* LEOs no less), and
you can color it downright scary. Speaking of which - the police used
to be called "peace officers"; implying a certain level of discretion,
and the idea that they were tasked with keeping the peace. A "law
enforcement officer" is nothing but a glorified meter maid. Scan for
violations and write them up; the law is the law, no matter how inane
(or unconstitutional) the regulation or how trivial the infraction.
I think we need to start training more peace officers and less law
enforcement officers. Oh, and as long as I'm ranting incoherently,
don't let them pull that "police vs civilian" crap on you either. THEY
are civilians also. Unless a police officer is also a member of
the armed forces, that person is nothing more than an ordinary
civilian, just like most everybody else. Want to detach yourself
from the "civilian" population? Join the Army. Anyhoo...

: I guess since I've got 'Team Mud Nuts' stickers on my truck I'll be pulled
: over by the NY DEC for illegal wheeling. Good thing the DML isn't
: associated with offroading, that sticker is a lot more visible. Since
: when is a sticker reasonable cause anyway? I don't think I'd be lifting
: my hood, and I think I'm legal visually. Maybe I shouldn't get those
: 'BLT2ROCK' vanity plates I've been considering.

   I think the most common things they get 4x4s for are tires that
extend "too far" from the wheelwells and bumper height. I'm not
sure what those requirements are in NY actually, but I wouldn't be
surprised if you were technically above the bumper height requirement.
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --' . . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'