RE: biggest wheels lowest drop

From: Ron Deaton (rgdeaton@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 12:25:26 EST

I have 18" wheels on my '89 Dak with 235/50R18 tires which give me basically
the same diameter combination as the originals. The truck has a 3\5 drop
using 2" spindles and 1" coils in front and hangers in back. This
combination is just a little fat for the front; I get a little inner fender
rub at full lock steering. Not a big problem!

BUT: using the stock diameter causes some bottoming of the inner fender on
the top of the tire. I am curently modifying the top of the inner fender to
give me another 2" of clearance on top. That along with changing the bump
stop on the A-arm should give the combo I want for ride and handling. The
rear has adequate wheel well clearance but I notched the frame for more
suspension travel because I wanted a better ride.

The DML tire and wheel calculator is a very useful tool for doing this kind
of work. A 20" wheel with a 30-40 series tire that's not too fat would
probably fit. Your wheel buddies ought to be able to help with this

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Hope this helps.

Ron