Re: [crosspost]  '94 Ram 360 on an '02 Ram 360 PCM

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 14:04:32 EST

In article <08AEFDA2-AF34-4EEE-B3F7-1D3A9C0DDEAD@tepidcola.com>,
dml@tepidcola.com (Michael Maskalans) writes:

> Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so what it would take?
>
> I can get a screaming deal on a under-50k '94 360 and 46RH, and I can
> get an '02 manual trans PCM for free. Kicker is, they're only useful
> to me (here in New York state with plug-in emissions) if I can put
> them together and make them happy.
>
> The '94 360 is 100% complete including PCM and harness, I also happen
> to have a complete OBD-II Jeep 4.0L that I could borrow compatible
> sensors off of, but I don't have a harness for it, nor with the '02
> manual PCM.
>
> I'm expecting that a few sensors, or at least plugs, will be
> different aside from the obvious one vs 2 or 3 oxygen sensors, but I
> really don't know. I would also expect that since the 46RH doesn't
> take any electronics input other than lockup and overdrive that the
> newer manual transmission PCM would even be the right match for this
> potential setup.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

The tranny won't work. The bellhousing is different and won't bolt into a Dak
for starters. Also, it is an RH. You run an OBDII PCM on it and it will have
all sorts of problems since the tranny went to an electronically controlled one
in 96 I think.

To make it work in your 98, you would need to block off the EGR port on the
intake manifold, get an OBDII PCM to run it, and a new flexplate. They changed
the bolt pattern and balancing of the torque converter around 96 or so, so it
won't bolt up to a later tranny unless you get a newer flexplate or a TQ that
will match the bolt holes. The TB is also an OBDI TB, so it has some vent holes
in the bores that are part of the EGR system. It will trip a code unless you
mod the bottom by cutting a channel to connect the two sides.

I think you could take the internals of the tranny and swap them into a Dak
bellhousing, but that will be a pain. I once looked into getting a Ram tranny
to put in mine because I could get a good deal on it. I talked to Wayne over at
APS, and he told me it would not bolt up to my truck due to clearance issues.
Internals were all the same though.

Kevin
.
.