Re: Cheap exhaust parts

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 17:42:16 EDT

On Wed, April 5, 2006 4:18 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> The last muffler I put on the Ram was a generic Autozone model. I
> just peeked under the truck, and the muffler and pipe have a fair amount
> of rust on them, but I don't remember how long they have been under there.
> I'm thinking around 3 years at least? It wasn't on the truck during the
> hydrolock incident, I think I did the install shortly after that.

The hydrolock was Daktoberfest 2002. That was actually the day after we
installed the Dynomax exhaust that's currently on my Dak. I didn't remember
that, but the meet report says so.

> Looks
> like the muffler and pipe pieces might have another year on 'em.

Sounds like they're holding up better than the Dynomax.

> One problem with the tailpipe pieces at Autozone
> though is that they are only 18" or so in length, which is probably a
> bit too short to be able to get a decent bend in them. (The shoes might
> slip off the end before the bend is complete.) It'd probably be easier
> to have a long section of pipe and bend it all at once.

I got the impression from their web site that they have a pre-formed tailpipe
specific to my application for $22 (http://tinyurl.com/n9gws, not sure if that
link will work). Might be worth saving the hassle if that's really the case,
especially if it already has the hangers welded on. Oh, and there's another
one listed as "sport package" for another $13 (http://tinyurl.com/o2yhx)... I
don't know what that's all about. I guess it replicates the useless dummy
pipe that was stuck on at the factory. No thanks.

Rock Auto has a picture that shows their parts, which from the listing are
specific to the Dakota. http://tinyurl.com/qkkbv

The tail pipe #54899 is $15.76. The muffler #2079 is $59.79, but they also
list another muffler #700227 for $37.99, which links to the same illustration.
 I'm not sure what the difference is between the two mufflers.

Rock Auto does show a different illustration for the sport package:
http://tinyurl.com/ochz5 The tail pipe #54926 is $43.99. That's a lot of
extra money for that stupid dual tip.

> Is your current tailpipe in decent condition, or does it need
> replacing too?

Well, remember that patch you did back in January? I think it's holding up
okay, but the rest of the pipe is starting to rot out the same as that
particular section. And I remember that we both noticed that the muffler was
starting to fall apart. I noticed one humid morning a couple of weeks ago
that I could see exhaust coming from somewhere around the muffler, although I
couldn't determine exactly where.

> Of course, the bends will be compression bends, and not mandrel,
> but even so, I should think a 2.5" compression bent exhaust should
> be fine for a stock 3.9...

I'm sure the rest of the system is restrictive enough that it won't make much
of a difference.

> It doesn't say wether the pipe is
> aluminized or not, but even if not, you could replace the entire
> system 3 times for the price of a dirt cheap cat-back, and 8 times
> for the price of a regularly priced cat-back!

True... but I was hoping that this would last at least another three years so
I don't have to hassle with it again.

> If you like, I can check at the local NAPA for prices, and/or
> look around at some other possible local sources for tubing.

Sure, if you wouldn't mind. Wouldn't hurt to know what the options are.

I did ask at Canadian Tire while I was in there last night. They told me $100
for a muffler and $30 for a tail pipe. I'm not sure if that's for a pre-bent
pipe or not.

Thanks.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'