Re: Exhaust tube sources?

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 19:25:22 EDT

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Kevin S wrote:

> J> Just wanted to know if anybody out there might have a good source
> J> for exhaust pipe?
>
> Summit sells aluminized parts and tube for a decent price, at least they did
> a year ago when I built mine. I ended up buying some mandrels from them.
> Summit also has a good price on band clamps. Free shipping too (with $9
> handling charge).
>

> Just for kicks, I went to the local performance exhaust shop (who specialize
> in everything "rice"), and asked about a mandrel system. They just laughed,
> said nobody cares about Mandrel bends so they don't bother with them. They
> were happy to do a "nice" crimp-bend system with duals and massive tips.
>
> Anyway, because I wouldn't settle for anything but mandrel bends, they were
> glad to at least sell me some parts. They had a very reasonable price on the
> basic parts, and were actually a few bucks cheaper than Summit on the sticks,
> cat, and muffler, and hangers. Might be worth a try.

  For a 'non Dak' vehicle I have I had I wanted a 2" exhaust as the stock
was only 1.5" (yeah, rice..) The local muffler shop wanted to charge me
over $350 for 'custom work" And just bought a section of straight tube at
Advance Autoparts and used my Harbor Freight Pipe bender to give me nice
bends without kinking.

  The trick to getting the nice bends was to weld caps on the ends of the
piece and fill it with sand and go slowly. I didn't have to make any
bends larger than a 45 degrees so it worked well for me. I got out from
under the project in less than $50 and thumbed my nose at a $350 job.

  Heck, even the pipe bender was only $69 with those Magic HF coupons. But
I already had that for bending pipe for air compressors lines in the shop
and some bumpers for the trail truck.

  It was more work than writing a check but I prefer to spend my money on
other things than to give it to someone for a job I know I can do myself.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org