Re: To sell or not

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 11:49:28 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "Josh Battles" <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
>
> : On Mon, April 10, 2006 7:34 pm, Michael Maskalans wrote:
> :>
> :> Since I'm fussing about it, I might as well give some numbers.
> :>
> :> 23 y.o. single male, renting.
> :> 100/300/100, 10, 100/300
> :> 500/1000 comp/col with glass on '02 Jetta TDI 5sp and '98 Dakota CC
> :> 318 auto 4x4
> :> liability only on '84 RamCharger 360 auto 4x4.
> :>
> :> $665/6 months with Geico.
> :>
> :> Progressive was charging me $1445/6 months for the exact same coverage.
> :> Hanover's quote was a sneeze ever $900/6 months.
>
> : Yikes. I have that same coverage on my Dak and liability on the Daytona and
> : it costs me just under $850 yearly with State Farm.
>

> I switched to Geico a few years ago and like Mike, it cut my cost
> almost in half. I'm still paying quite a bit though for comp & collission on 5 vehicles. I have the Coronet and Cuda on a collector's
> policy with somebody else which is dirt cheap compared to normal
> insurance (not to mention being agreed value). I like the way they
> do it because no matter how many vehicles you have on the policy,
> there is only ONE liability charge. They are actually smart enough
> to realize that you can only drive one vehicle at a time. I think
> when I added the Coronet to the policy, it was something like $60/year
> more. Most policies will give you a discount for multi-car, but a
> separate liability charge on each vehicle is a rip off, IMHO. I wish I
> could find an insurer who would write a policy that way for my daily
> drivers. I've been thinking lately that I really should do some
> shopping around to see if I can drop my premiums at all, but its a
> bit of a hassle when the quote is for 5 vehicles; would be a pain
> to do on the phone, and most web sites don't seem to be set up to
> give a multi vehicle quote. (Wah!) ;-)

Heh - all this talk has me wondering - and its coming around at a
coincidental time too. Just got a letter from state farm asking what I
want to do with the Ram, that its still on storage insurance... I talked
to them and found out I'll get a reduced rate on the Ram in July when my
6 months rolls over to the next 6 month period... I turn 25 THIS month
- kinda bugged I have to wait till July to see a change.

Gonna go from 90-something a month full coverage on the Ram to 60
something a month full coverage. I have the multi line discount and we
have the home insurance with them too. I had been paying $120 a month
full coverage just on the Ram alone... for a very long time. I dunno -
but for someone with a spotless driving record - these numbers seem a
little high?

I also feel pissed for the same reason you mentioned Jon, guys with
multi car policies - are getting jacked on prices. I don't know why
they can't insure the driver instead of just the cars. When you have a
liability only policy like I have on all my stuff, you are not insuring
the car/truck for anything. If it gets totaled its your loss... the
insurance is to cover any damages I cause, myself, as a driver. So why
we have to have separate charges per vehicle for situations with
liability only... heck I dunno...

I'm going to be in that situation myself pretty soon - with a fleet to
cover on insurance...at the moment only 3 of the 6 sets of wheels around
here are on insurance. When I get the other three rolling... I think I'd
better start shopping around too.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'