Re: NAPA DPW high performance water pump?

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 10:07:27 EDT

In article <e25f81$7og$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, sneezer@gmail.com writes:

> Was browsing the NAPA online site today, planning on picking up a new water
> pump. I wanted to get a Flowkooler, but it seems, at least on our trucks,
that
> they are problematic. I know Rascal had issues a couple years ago, yet others
> seem to run fine.
>
> I also have a 3 piece March UD pulley set that I was thinking about using,
and
> NAPA is about the only place that still sells pumps with bolt on pulleys. In
> the selection for a 92 318, they had a pump# DPW 1203071P that was a high
> performance water pump. I haven't been able to find much info on them.
Anybody
> else know about them?
>
> I did find a reference on a different board for GM engines I think that
seemed
> to indicate that these pumps had a plate attached to the impeller, increasing
> efficiency. It sounds like the same thing Flowkooler sells - a disc
conversion
> plate that you rivet to a stock impeller and increases efficiency.
>
> Summit sells the plates for about $10.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin
> 1992 CC 318 2wd (360 swap underway)

Slow day at work. Found some more info. Appears DPW is a DuraPro pump made for
Napa. Some research found that DuraPro is manufactured by GMB. Here is a page
on their high performance pump.

http://www.gmb.net/html/products/waterpumps/HighPerformance.htm

It looks like a well designed pump. The Flowkooler just has the impeller
redesigned, but I don't think they did much else other than make it out of
aluminum. This one appears to be stronger, and redesigned passageways. I amy
see if my local Napa has any in stock that I can physically look at.

Kevin
1992 CC 318 2wd (360 swap underway)
.
.