Ball[joint] breaking weekend w/ the Dak

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 09:27:59 EDT

Had a fun weekend with the Dakota. Went to a UConn party and backed
into a tree branch (100% sober) and took out a taillight. Doh!

Next morning driving home, hit one of those campus speedbumps at 25mph
(I don't slow down for them) and *BAM! flub flub flub flub...* sounds
like a flat tire but doesn't feel like one. Got out and checked...
tires look good... alignment still appears straight... wait,
something's definitely wrong. Right upper ball joint popped out! Doh!
Well hmm... it's only 6 miles of backroads to my house. The UCA is
still pinned inside the steel wheel holding the wheel straight - I can
make it! So I limp home with lots of grinding (yeah, good idea Don).

As luck would have it, my alignment guy told me I should probably
replace my balljoints soon cause the boots look bad... so I had
replacements on hand. BTW, he told me there was no play, though, so I
didn't bother checking myself! I get it home, take it apart, and
within 30 minutes the truck's back on the ground with a new balljoint.
First time I've done a balljoint, mind you. I used a monkey wrench on
the threaded control arm portion and a BFG on the steering knuckle
portion. Easy! I didn't have time to do the others... that'll be next
weekend's job. Lowers will be tougher, I know.

Don
89 Dakota Convertible 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340
CT