Re: Re: ATTENTION ALL DML'ers!!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 18:22:04 EDT

Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:

: Speaking of pulling small building, I recall there was some talk of you
: stopping at Jon's and picking up a few items before heading out. Since we'll
: be taking the Ram, I'll be limited to what I can fit in the backseat. Nothing
: goes in the bed of that truck and I'm trying to keep our packing as light as
: possible, just what we need for clothes (planning on at least 1 or 2 laundry
: days during the 3 week trip, tent (including that 10x20 canopy we have)
: sleeping bags, folding chairs, flash lights, cooler and all the necessary
: electronics (laptop, GPS, Digital Cameras, DV Cam, etc...)

   Walt, for something like the canopy and stuff, could you wrap it up in
a thick blanket or a comforter or something? Just tie some twine around it
to keep the blanket from unrolling, and that should be enough to protect
the show finish of the bed. Just a thought in case you run out of room
in the cab. There's the alternative of course... "Hey Ingrid, how would
you like to get some fresh air?" ;-)

: A few thoughts I've been pondering:
:
: The Lawn Jenga set. It's heavy and takes up a lot of space. My thought was
: either dropping it at Jon's a few weeks early so you can take it out with you.
: or preferably, I recall we have someone on the list out that way, if by chance
: he has a chop or skil saw, we just buy 8 2x3s when we're out there and play
: drunken, flaming Jenga on the last evening. Saves us from having to lug it back
: and forth across country. What do you think?

: The next idea, is major geek but, Did we ever come up with a consensus of how
: we were going to handle Internet access? I know Lone Duck has Wi-fi access.
: Was everyone just going to pay the extra money and get Wi-Fi through the
: campground?

   I'm not sure. You probably already saw my reply to David about this, I'm
not 100% sure how the campground does their authentication. It might be
possible to set up a router. I suppose worst case scenario, if we can't
share it, it's not *too* big of a deal since its only $5/day for unlimited
access.

: Also, anyone who plans on bringing their camcorders, bring your RCA or S-Video
: connection cables and some blank DVDs as well. I have a Sony VDC-20 DVDirect
: burner that I will be bringing with me. We can burn any video source direct to
: DVD while we're there and distribute.

   Sounds great! Since I have (stupidly) ;-) volunteered to do the meet
report for this one, I would love to get a copy of everybody's video. If
I can get it all on DVDs that would be awesome! I will have my laptop there
so I wouldn't really even need to have you make an extra set of DVDs for me,
if anyone with a DVD of their footage would be kind enough to let me borrow
it for a few minutes, I can just stick it in my laptop and create an ISO file
of it on my hard drive. As far as the meet report goes, what I'm thinking of
doing for this event is to have an actual, physical meet report. Something
sort've like a coffee table book, perhaps with some sort of unique cover,
and it would include a DVD with proper menus and such that can be played
in a standard DVD player, not just on a computer. Lots of possibilities
there, but I like your idea of distributing the DVD footage right at the meet.
If there is any way I can go home with everybody's footage, that would really
help out a lot! Granted, since I will be going home Saturday, I will
probably miss some of it, but if there is any footage that I missed, maybe
somebody else would be willing to make ISOs for me and e-mail 'em, or send
some DVDs back with Jason & Norah?

I'll have to look into my power options
: with that. It too has a 12V transformer but has an odd connector and I don't
: want to cut the cable, so I may have to run that on AC. I've already copied
: some of the video I got from the last few BBQs (including stuff I've copied
: from Jon and Tom) on DVD. Radio Shack has an DLP Projector with a built in DVD
: player on sale right now. I was going to go down this week and take a look and
: what other inputs it has on it. If it also has SVGA ports, I may pick one up
: and we'll have movie and picture night on the side of the big white canopy
: tent.

  Who knows, if Jason & Norah's RV site is close enough to DML HQ, we
might be able to get away with running an extension cord over?

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --' . . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'