Re: Colorado BBQ Convoy

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 13:41:13 EDT

On 4/26/06, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
> > Indiana is great for groceries, the sales tax is like 5%. I actually do a
> > fairly decent amount of shopping there because of it.
>
> Not bad. NY isn't too bad either. IIRC, they don't charge sales tax on food
> items, similar to Ontario. Jon, is that right? (Note that in Ontario, things
> like Coke and potato chips don't count as food, it's just basic stuff like
> bread and water that isn't taxed.)

That is correct. "Real" food isn't taxed. Junk food is, I think.

The state was considering a few months ago dropping the state sales
tax on clothing as well.

> We do have a fridge, but that raises another issue. I've recently become
> convinced that it's a Very Bad Idea (tm) to drive with the propane turned on,
> which is what powers the fridge when not plugged in to an outlet. Our fridge
> can't run off of 12V DC. I'm probably going to just put a block of ice in
> there and take advantage of the natural insulating properties to keep things
> cool. It won't be much better than a cooler, but it'll work. Or, I might
> just use the cooler instead (or maybe even in addition).

Which side of the trailer is the fridge on? When we drove to South
Dakota *mumblemumble* years ago w/ a pop-up camper, the fridge was
powered off the tow vehicle BUT, I seem to recall it having a LOT of
trouble keeping cool while in transit because it was on the left side
and had that hot summer sun beating down on it.

Obviously, no matter whcih side it's on, it's going to be a concern
for 50% of the trip. The cooler, placed in the share, on the northern
side of the trailer, may work out better overall. Plus you could get
one of those plug-in coolers w/ the Peltier (or is it Peizo?) element
in it to actively cool it since the rest of the trailer can run off
the 12VDC, right?

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |