Re: Longevity of the 4.7???

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 01:46:39 EDT

Mr. Plow wrote:

> I didn't have my Dak long enough to determine how well the 4.7 engine
> would hold up after a lot of miles.
> Who all has this engine in their Dak, how many miles/kilometers and what
> kind of problems have there been?

I've got relatively few miles on my 2000, about 72,000. Only
engine-related repair was the power steering pressure switch, which I
just replaced a few weeks ago. Everything else has been scheduled
maintenance or repairs relating to non-engine components (stupid blower
motor, door lock actuator, ball joint recall, etc...). Overall, though,
the truck still feels like it's got a lot of life left in it.
Especially engine-wise.

Unfortunately, I probably won't find out for quite a while as I think
the Dak is about to be retired as my daily driver. I still love driving
it every bit as much as I did 6 years ago when I bought it, but it's
just not practical enough to drive on a daily basis anymore. Plus, I'm
hoping that I can squeeze another 6 years out with no major issues if I
only drive it once every week or two. :-)

That being said, anyone have any recommendations on maintenance
precautions to take for a vehicle that isn't driven too often? I want
to make sure that it lasts, otherwise I might as well just trade it in now.

-Bill
.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |