Re: DML BBQ --> Rented a Jeep

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 01:56:06 EDT

Mr. Plow wrote:
> When i was looking at the Hertz website, it said the weekly rate was
> $319 (or thereabouts).
> Then when i asked the guy on te 800 number, he told me $279.
> THEN!!! I heard someone else called and talked to the agent at the
> counter and got $264.
> So i'm guessing that there may be some room to bargain them down a bit,
> given all of this info. Just say your friend got it for $219. :D :D :D

Or, you just tell them that the other place (or the other Hertz office
in the area) quoted you the same car for that price. They know they
have room to haggle and so do you...

My favorite thing to do when shopping for cars is to blindly email half
a dozen dealerships and ask them for a price. When they start
responding, I just shave a bit off the price and tell them that's what
the other guy offered me. Sooner or later you get to the price where
they say "Sorry, we can't do that." Then you tell all but one of them
"Okay, I guess I don't need the car that badly." (Keep the one in
reserve just in case that really is the best price they can do... This
keeps you from having to lose face and admit you were trying to screw
with them.) It's been my experience that within a day or two they'll
come crawling back trying to make the sale at the price that previously
seemed unacceptable to them. This works insanely well with domestic
cars (sometimes we try to do this at work just for fun...) and still
surprisingly well with lots of imports.

-Bill
.
.