Re: How to bring a Jeep back from Colorado?

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 23:23:46 EDT

I've had a couple vehicles shipped (one from Colorado, the other was from
somewhere on the east coast north of New York) both to Detroit. Both were
running vehicles, one was a couple hundred pounds over the Jeep, and the
other was a few hundred less. I think both were in the $700-800 range. I'm
guessing that today's fuel costs would have some effect on the cost.

I've got a couple options. I recently put a class 4 receiver on my Dak, so
I might as well use it. If can get the Jeep tow worthy, I should be able to
get it to the Detroit metro area. Although I have a few less vehicles than
Jon does, I also have much less space, and there isn't anywhere I'd be able
to stash it for very long. The big question to figure out is, what are the
licencing / insurance requirements for each of the states that it'd be
pulled through? As long as there's a plate for the vehicle (preferably
something historic, it'd probably be fine once your out of the state that
issued the plate :)

I've also got a 4x8 flat tiltbed utility trailer I could bring. The
downside is that I suspect the Jeep would need to go on a diet, as the max
weight the trailer can handle is 2000lbs, and technically that includes most
of the weight of the trailer which I'd guess is a couple hundred pounds or
so. I'll need to read the tire rating too see what they're rated at. I'm
guessing I've already managed to overload it once by a hundred or so pounds,
but I was only going less than 5 miles.

I've worked out no details of my route yet, but I'm thinking of taking I80
one way and I70 the other just to see something different. If I'm going to
be flat towing anything, it'd make sense to pick the more expensive (toll)
route on the way to the meet and the cheaper one on the way back.

On the less practical idea front, we just need to find a nice big trailer so
Jon can use the Ram to bring a couple Dakota's out to the meet and have room
for the Jeep on the way back. As long as you've got the torque, you might
as well enjoy it :)

-- David 94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted with 33" BFG MT's